“At CMX, we believe community professionals come from all walks of life, and in order to build the premiere community conference, we must hear from and listen to people with a variety of perspectives. We believe in taking actionable steps toward building diverse, accessible, and inclusive communities and conferences.
Our scholarship program is here to encourage and recognize people of all races, ethnicities, genders, ages, abilities, religions, sexual orientations, military service, and more. To help break down the barriers that prevent underrepresented groups from participating at CMX Summit, CMX is offering scholarships to members of underrepresented groups in the community management industry.
As we’re investing in growing CMX Summit, including our scholarship program, for 2019, we will have two types of scholarship offerings: 1) free ticket + travel reimbursement (applications open May 6, 2019 and close May 24, 2016), and 2) free ticket only (applications open May 6, 2019 and will be granted on rolling basis).
We will be granting 20 travel + ticket scholarships for 2019. What’s included in the limited ticket + scholarship:
- 1 non-transferable pass to CMX Summit 2019, happening September 5-6 in Redwood City, CA (the Bay Area).
- $600 to help offset the costs related to attending the conference such as travel, lodging, food, and childcare.
Costs will be reimbursed by CMX, and recipients will need to keep expense receipts up to reimbursement limits.
Requirements for all scholarships:
- Must be a member of an underrepresented group in the community management field and at community management conferences, including but not limited to: people of color; people with visible and invisible disabilities; LGBTQA+; veterans; religious and ethnic minorities; trans and nonbinary people; neurodiverse people; age minorities (under 21, over 50); working class people; and people experiencing poverty.
- Must be able to attend CMX Summit 2019 in person.
- If employed, must work for a non-profit, startup, or company making less than $500,000 in annual revenue. (If you are having trouble convincing your boss, check out our ticket transparency post with cost and benefit breakdowns.) Students and un- or underemployed people encouraged to apply.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must follow the CMX Summit Code of Conduct.
Applicants may not be awarded CMX Summit’s scholarship with travel reimbursement more than once. Past recipients may apply for ticket-only scholarship. Scholarship recipients are responsible for arranging their own travel and lodging. Recipients are responsible for their own financial reporting. Due to limited availability, only one scholarship may be awarded per company. As cisgender women represent over 60% of attendees at CMX Summit, they are not considered an underrepresented group in our industry.
Application deadline: all applications for scholarships, including travel reimbursements, must be submitted by Friday, May 24, 2019 at 5pm PDT for CMX Summit 2019.”